Once upon a time …
In 2000, through the enthusiasm of some inhabitants, Croq Jardin was born, to allow them to come together and garden.
A few years later, the purpose of garden also becomes educational: children and adolescents are involved in the creation of the garden during participatory projects.
The garden becomes a place of collective expression, intercultural and intergenerational dialogue.
Family gardens and a collective plot are installed to meet all expectations.
• Allow local inhabitants to practice gardening
• Welcome adolescents with social problems
• Environmental education for all
Since the first day, the prevailing values in our project have been :
• The diversity (social mix, intercultural and intergenerational dialogue)
• mutual support,
• the wish that everyone, on their own level, can find a place in our garden
• Workshops and participatory projects
• composting workshops – (the first Saturday of each month)
• Environmental Activities for schools (kindergarten to college)
• “Everybody in the garden! “Open day, plants and seeds barter, workshops – (early May)
• Trainings and awareness Days
HOW DOES THIS WORK ON?
Structure of the garden, crops, production, management
Total area: 1 ½ hectare
• A collective vegetable plot (600 square meters): the produce from the collective plot is shared equally among the beneficiaries who are involved, alongside a lead gardener.
• Another collective plot, composed of an orchard and a grain field, is grown with the aid of a local farmer
• “individual” plots for families and for groups (a school, an organization for disabled people…): these are grown for self-production. Monthly group meetings provide a good way of managing these plots
• An educational area (½ hectare): on which is installed a henhouse, a pathway demonstrating water mechanisms, an educational water pond, a botanical trail, a medicinal plants garden and a vegetable garden (the plot is grown to demonstrate organic gardening).
• A participative compost area (for restaurants and market gardeners of the city)
Equipement and infrastructure:
Many participatory projects (teens and adults) are used to develop the site each year a little more.
• convivial: picnic area, bread oven, solar cooking,
• composting area for gardeners,
• dry toilets
• training room, tools shed and tipi
• Wind and solar power.
Access: by car and bus – accessibility for persons with limited mobility
Where is it located: Croq’Jardin is in the South of France (Quartier les Bouygons – 13640 La Roque d’Anthéron)
Opening and visit: from the 15th of March to the 15th of October, the garden is open every morning from Tuesday to Saturday + Free entry when a gardener is already in the garden.
Contact : Jean ANDRE is the person in charge of the garden, as an employee of the organization “Fédération des Foyers Ruraux des Bouches du Rhône » (4 Cours de la République – BP 20017 – 13350 Charleval)
Email : Jeanemail@example.com
Mobile phone : 0033 6 372 00 585
Here are some video links to see this garden.
First, a video of the garden: http://youtu.be/8_GaKVB6X4U
Then two videos to give you a taste of the elearning platform that will very soon be online:
Collective composting in a shared garden – Croq Garden: http://youtu.be/MfHz6D9Kz58
Training in Croq Garden “Tutorial – collective construction of a parabolic solar cooker” http://youtu.be/SFivWFgUR-M